Our mission is to build resilient public infrastructure for the world’s data.
- DSL awarded an NSF grant for automated support for writing high assurance smart contracts. [NSF]
- Xiaoyao Qian submitted his M.S thesis in Spring 2018 [Print]
- Surya Bakshi completed and deposited his M.S. ECE thesis in Spring 2018.
- Check out our participation in the Zcash “Powers of Tau” ceremony using radioactive toxic waste from Chernobyl! [Article 1], [Article 2]
- Tom’s paper Reactive redundancy for data destruction protection (R2D2) has been accepted for publication to Computers & Security
- Cryptocurrency Network Measurement
- Upcoming MOOC: Smart Contract Security (Fall 2018)
- Ongoing course: Applied Cryptography (Fall 2018) ECE/CS 498 AM: Applied Cryptography
- Previous course: Cryptocurrency Security (Fall 2016) – ECE/CS 598 AM: Cryptocurrency Security
- Member of the Initiative for Cryptocurrencies and Contracts (IC3)
- Smart contract security – (Video: Ethereum isn’t Turing Complete and it doesn’t matter anyway) [Ethereum Lab] [Blog posts on hackingdistributed]
- Allofthecoins – docker infrastructure for running cryptocurrencies in sandboxes [github]
- Shadow Bitcoin – simulation framework for cryptocurrency networks [github] [paper]
We create Blockchain technology. Many industries, including finance, healthcare, and more, would benefit from more automation and more information sharing, but security concerns remain an obstacle. The “Blockchain” movement is an industry-wide effort to solve this problem by building new platforms for shared data, with security designed-in from the start. We contribute by making fundamental advances that combine techniques from fault tolerant and dependable/reliable systems, cryptography, and programming languages.
- HoneyBadgerBFT: an improved fault tolerant consensus protocol
- Asst. Prof. Andrew Miller
- Surya Bakshi (Ph.D, ECE)
- Kevin Liao (Ph.D., CS)
- Hanyun Xu (M.S., CS)
- Tom Yurek (Ph.D., CS)
- Yunqi Li (Ph.D, ECE)
- Samarth Kulshreshtha (M.S., CS)
- Rahul Mahadev (M.S., CS)
- Sanket Kanjalkar (M.S. CS)
- Joseph Kuo (Undergrad, CS)
- Xiaoyao Qian (Masters, CS) Now at NADGrid
- Chris Cordi (Masters, CS) Now at Sandia
- Kevin Lee (Undergrad, ECE) Now a PhD student at Princeton
- Abhiram Kothapalli (Undergrad, CS) Now a PhD student at CMU
- Sergi Delgado Segura (visitor) Postdoc at University College London
- Patrick McCorry (visitor) Lecturer at King’s College London
Decentralized Systems Lab is part of Security and Privacy Research @ Illinois (SPR@I).